Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Neon Orange Triangle Tips

  If it wasn't already apparent, I am obsessed with neon orange nail polish right now.  It's just so...so...  I don't know, juicy?  I love it.  It's like red's sassy cousin who likes to party.  It's also got huge hipster-ugly potential, which I love.  There's just something about an especially jarring color combo.  When colors fight each other, I feel it almost gives them an enhanced richness.  Like when you see something you've never noticed before but you're sure it's always been there.  "How did I not notice that about neon orange before?"

 Today's is a nice simple manicure, a bit of a punk-rock take on the classy French tips.  The colors are the Sally's Beauty StripeRite in neon orange (the only StripeRite I will ever truly love.  It has the perfect consistency.  As I said previously, the others leave a lot to be desired.)  The base is maybe my favorite polish of all time.  The brand is Savina, which is always, always available at Nordstrom Rack for a mere four-ish dollars.  This particular color is "White Lavender," which is neither white nor lavender, but the perfect opaque peachy-pink-nude.  I really love it as a neutral base, or for a more mod-looking French.  The peach also makes a really nice base for any design just by virtue of it's opacity and color - it doesn't show through, and while it's not as brightening as white, it won't darken your top color (which I HATE!!!)

  The neon orange against the softy-lingerie peach looks so wrong it's right.  It's got that awkward '70s color vibe that I just love!! (One day I'll show you a picture of my living room decor.  I think will explain everything!)


  If you don't have nail art brushes or a steady hand, you can totally tape off this manicure and do it that way - usually I see it done where the tip color is done first, then masked off with a corner of scotch tape, over which the main color is applied.  I do the base coat first and free-hand the triangles on top, so they're not quite uniform as you can see, but it's not hard to get these looking right free-hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment